Ransomware is a type of malicious software from cryptovirology that threatens to publish the victim's data or perpetually block access to it unless a ransom is paid.
YSF : Ransomware is rogue software from hackers, which encrypts all files on your Server/Pc/laptop. They then demand a ransom which in most cases, even if paid, does not guarantee unlocking of your encrypted data. In fact almost always the decryption key is never given after the ransom is paid.
In simple terms this means that if you do not have a (working) backup, you stand to lose years and years of data in seconds.
Currently there is no solution to restore data that has been encrypted by Ransomware, thus backups of the data is critical.
Did you know that 1 in 6 companies will lose data during the year either due to Ransomware, hardware failure or virus infections or even burglary where the server or pc/laptop is stolen.
In light of the above we are advising all our clients (especially our Point Of Sale clients) to ensure that they have working backups and purchase a good anti-virus from us for each pc on the network.
In term of backups (which is the clients responsibility) please note the following:
There are 2 ways this can be achieved:
- You the client must do backups manually (daily) to a usb flash drive or an external hard drive.
- Sign up for our cloud backup service which does automatic backups daily (using specialised backup software) into our YSF Secure Cloud. This service costs around R200 per month per pc per month and gets cheaper with the number of pc’s added on. For those interested in this service kindly reply to this email expressing your interest and we will contact you.
Advantages of our YSF Secure Cloud backup:
- Critical data is kept off site.
- Automated backups (done even when the necessary person tasked with backups is on leave).
- Fixed low monthly costs.
- Secure backups with 256 bit encryption.
- Month to month contracts.
- Payments for the cloud service done via debit order to facilitate payments seamlessly.
Should you require assistance with any of the above please feel free to call our YSF Support team on 011 852-7711 and we will be glad to assist.